Sunday, August 17, 2008

DJ is Gonna be a Handful

My son, Duane Jr. He looks just like his Daddy with some of my Daddy thrown in because God knows how much I love my Papi. For the most part, he's a true Hawkins through and through. He has the typical Hawkins likes, dislikes and mannerisms. His attitude, however, is all Adams...Donald Adams. Yes, he has my Dad's temper just like I do. (Sigh) So, boy are we in for it. He has no problem expressing his anger. He throws things, screams and fights. (And let me tell you that little boy is freakishly strong for his size and age) We are doing our best to work on controlling his 'tude' problem. As he gets older, he's obviously gonna have to learn to manage his anger (like I did) so I foresee some type of sport or martial arts in his future...the near future. Until then, pray for us.

DJ is also very protective of Nyani. Yes, at 15 months he's her personal body guard. If he hears her crying, he will drop whatever he's doing to run and find "Ny-Ny". Then, he has to give her a hug and any toy or anything else to make her happy. Even when we yell at her, he gives us mean looks and will go to comfort her. Let me give you an example of the little body guard on duty. We were playing outside yesterday. DJ and I were walking around the house and Nyani was riding her scooter. A little boy came up on the curb and was staring at her. He looked to be around 6 years old. To me, it seemed as though he was gonna ask her to play. He was with his other friends so I think he changed his mind, fearing ridicule for playing with a girl. He just turned around and rode off with his buddies. Meanwhile, Nyani probably didn't even see him she was so self absorbed (as usual) but DJ did. He gave that poor little boy a look that said, "I know, you are not looking at my sister" and took off after him, about to go into the street! He was gonna beat up on some poor kid for staring at Nyani. Duane was tickled when I told him about it. He's happy he has some back up to keep the boys at bey.

And so it starts at 15 months, the protective younger brother. DJ is gonna be a handful...

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Haha, I'll make sure Kevin leaves DJ a spot in his kung fu school...