Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Babies are Growing Up


I have come to the realization that my children are growing up and I don't want them to. Nyani is starting Kindergarten next Monday (sigh) and DJ is walking around and talking like he owns the place. It just seems like yesterday Duane and I were crying in the NICU because I had to leave Nyani there for an extra day while we went home. That was the hardest thing I think I ever had to do as a Mother. But she was born at 34 weeks and was so very tiny. And just look at her now...a big girl...a student.

And Mr. DJ; that little boy is into everything but the toilet and that's only because we keep all the bathroom doors closed. He's walking all over God's Creation and talking more and more now. He's growing less and less dependent on Mommy which feels like a knife in your heart. And when they actually say, "No Mommy, I do it self" you can feel the the knife being dug in deeper and turning. (Sigh) He's such a big boy now...well developmentally anyway. (Hey! both of his parents are 'vertically challenged' so what did you expect?)

A good friend reminded me that I knew what I was getting into the day Duane and I decided to have children, which is true. But even though their their growth and development is inevitable, it's not easy to accept. That same friend reminded me that parenthood is like a roller coaster ride. You got some ups and downs, twists and turns but in the end you were glad you took the ride. Well, I'm slowly climbing a big hill with my adrenaline rushing. I'm holding on to Duane's arm as I look down. I gotta be brave, so here I go, with my hands held up high.

No comments: