Saturday, November 29, 2008

Nyani's Half Way Through Her Kindergarten Year and I'm Coping

You may remember the blogs from this summer about my baby starting Kindergarten and how concerned I was about her being exposed to the young heathens of the world. Well, the school year is half over and I must say she is doing pretty well. She's doing great academically and her innocence is still intact (HALLELUJAH!) although she has picked up a few bad habits. But I suppose it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

There was one incident in her after school program that had me worried. Nyani as you know is very sheltered and has never heard a curse word. Or if she has she had no idea that is was a bad word. So, when a new girl in her after school program accused her of saying "f**k" I knew the little heifer was lying on my baby. Ms. Shelly, the manager of the after school program, assured me that she had every confidence that Nyani did not say it. She knows Nyani well and has never had any problems with her. I inquired how the little girl knew that the "f-word" was a bad word if she had not heard it or used it before. Ms. Shelly agreed and decided to talk to the girls parents. I also wanted to speak with them but it was not advised. (Probably was a good idea). I was now concerned that my baby was playing with some little cursing hood rat and only God knew what she would pick up by playing with her. Ms. Shelly shared my concern (not my exact words but my general concern) and agreed to keep them separated from each other. This wasn't hard to do since Nyani had been adopted by a group of 2nd grade girls since the 1st day she came into the program. Since then, everything has been smooth sailing but I still pick her up before her group of friends leave and she is forced to play with that little...........girl.

One way I keep tabs on what she's doing in school is by volunteering in her classroom once or twice a month. I get to help her teacher while watching her in her learning environment and learning her friends. This truly helps me feel better about sending her to school every day. Whoever suggested it, thanks!

Half the year's over, another half to go. I think I'll make it. I mean, I think Nyani will be fine.

No comments: