Saturday, December 27, 2008

Weaning DJ Off the Goo

For those of you who don't know, DJ calls his pacifier a 'goo'. No one knows why. He was breastfed as an infant so he only takes the Avent pacifier since it's shaped like a nipple. He won't suck any other kind including a Nuk.

DJ's 19 months old and has to have it constantly. Duane was always taking it from him saying he didn't need it. DJ would cry, wine and reply, "I need it". I had to remind Duane that Nyani had her 'binkie' until she was almost 3 years old and he never complained. He insists 'that was different'. I didn't think it was a problem. My baby is only 19 months old, he's still a baby! Let him have his 'goo' if it makes him happy. Well, he recently started to bite holes through the 'goo'. I was so afraid he was gonna choke; so, I'd take it and give him a new one. (If we track it, I bet there was a boost in Avent stock. LOL!!) This routine continued with Duane continually telling me it was time for him to let the 'goo' go. I just ignored him. I mean who could resist this face?

I was sadly beginning to realize that my poor baby was addicted to the 'goo'. Reality struck Christmas night. He had bitten another hole through the 'goo' and wanted a new one. Well, Target wasn't open. Neither were any of the other stores that sold Avent products, so he was S.O.L. Duane and I decided this was it. No more 'goo'. DJ was screaming and crying all night. He was so loud Duane could hear him outside! I tried putting him in our bed after Duane left for work around 4:30am but that didn't work. Ladies, DJ was falling out, screaming and scratching!!! My poor baby looked like an addict. I was ready to go to an all night Walmart or something. But I had to hold on to what we said, no more 'goo'. I had to hold him tight and rock him back to sleep. He dozed off but kept waking up screaming like he was in pain or something. I was truly beginning to wonder if something else was wrong. So, I turned on the soft light and checked him out. I even took his temperature but all was normal. After we got up for the morning he was the meanest SOB you ever wanna meet. I had to explain to Nyani what was going on so that she would leave him alone. He was fighting and throwing things and being a major grump. He asked for the 'goo' a few times but I explained that he was a big boy and quickly distracted him with other activities.

It's day 2 and thank God he's has gotten better. He was able to sleep with little problems last night and he's only mentioned the 'goo' once today. He still is a bit grumpy at times but it's understandable. I hope this only lasts a week or so. That's how long it took Nyani but she wasn't any where near this bad.

I'll keep you posted on our progress. Wish me luck...

No comments: